Swine flu activities in Japan
I am sure everyone has heard the news by now of the swine flu global pandemic. So what is happening in Japan? No confirmed cases yet, but one recent suspected case, a 17 year old Japanese student returning from a visit from BC, Canada, which turned out negative.
Many news stories recently:
- Gov’t steps up alert for flu outbreak; boy tests negative for new virus
- Japan introduces blanket inspection system for imported pigs
- Japan tightens border checks against swine flu
- Sales of masks jump 30% at Narita on swine flu fears
- Economists warn of swine flu’s adverse effects on Japanese economy
- Osaka food fair kicks off amid flu fears
- Holiday exodus hits peak amid concerns over new flu
A quarantine officer prepares a thermographic camera to inspect passengers inside a plane that arrived from Mexico at Narita airport on Wednesday, picture courtesy of Reuters (Issei Kato).