Japan in the News: Tainted Rice Scandal
We have been following the recent tainted rice scandal in Japan, which resulted in a tragedy when the president of a rice retailer in Nara prefecture hanged himself at this home.
- Tainted Chinese rice sold for making ‘shochu,’ crackers in Japan
- Japan to return foreign rice to exporting nations if found to be tainted
- Pesticide detected in rice consumed at Kyoto nursery
- Japanese distiller recalls liquor in tainted rice scare
- Gov’t to stop selling tainted rice as preventive step
- Japan considers returning tainted imported rice
- Rice retailer hangs himself over tainted rice scandal
Rice is very important as it is a basic staple food in Japan and most Asian countries (even found in liquor such as shochu). We even recently attended a rice reaping event in Roppongi.
Updated: 09/19/08: Japan agriculture minister quits over tainted rice.